Gcc-4.9.0 trunk revision 208516 cannot compile openssh package with -flto

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Sun Mar 16 07:30:25 EST 2014

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014, David Kredba wrote:

> Hello,
> Could I please ask you for help?
>
> I opened a case in GCC Bugzilla and got reply that -fpie have to be
> used to get it compiled.
>
> Now it fails for me with:
>
> x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -o ssh ssh.o readconf.o clientloop.o sshtty.o
> sshconnect.o sshconnect1.o sshconnect2.o mux.o roaming_common.o
> roaming_client.o -L. -Lopenbsd-compat/ -flto=4 -fuse-linker-plugin
> -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-O2 -Wl,-flto -O2 -ggdb -pipe -march=native
> -mtune=native -mno-3dnow -mno-sse4.2 -mno-avx -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,now
> -Wl,-z,noexecstack -fstack-protector-strong -flto=4
> -fuse-linker-plugin -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-O2 -Wl,-flto -O2 -ggdb -pipe
> -march=native -mtune=native -mno-3dnow -mno-sse4.2 -mno-avx -pie -lssh
> -lopenbsd-compat  -lssl -lcrypto  -ldl -lutil -lz -lnsl  -lcrypt
> -lresolv -lpthread

There are a whole lot of options in here that were not added by OpenSSH's
configure. If you are specifying CFLAGS then it is up to you to provide
a coherent set.

> I am attaching config.log and build.log, both gzipped.

There were no attachments. The list software only accepts text attachments
because of past incidents with spammers. If they are large then your best
bet is to put them on a website somewhere (e.g. pastebin).

> Can this be checked by configure? Like if -flto* found then to use -fpie too?

We can't check every possible option provided by the user; the defaults
are intended to work, but if you use others then you need to ensure they
are coherent.

-