using OpenSSH/SFTP to replace an FTP server securely

Karl O. Pinc kop at meme.com
Wed May 21 01:38:51 EST 2014

On 05/20/2014 06:55:39 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> If you *must* do this sort of thing, I'd urge running it on a
> separate
> sshd, with a separate sshd_config, running on another port, just to
> keep it away from your SSH logins for other users and other uses. If
> you're not compelled for other reasons to use this, vsftpd with FTPS
> is a *lot* easier to set up.

Firewalling excepted.  Properly firewalling ftp is, grody.
And, if you're serious (default-deny), requires a ftp proxy
and passive-only ftp.  Passive only ftp being yet another thing
that the  end-user can then do wrong.  And passive ftp interferes
with secure (default-deny) firewalling on the client end unless
the reverse ftp-proxy hoop is jumped through there.

You wind up spending nearly as much time configuring the ftp
firewalling as you do all the rest of the firewall.

Karl <kop at meme.com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein

Karl <kop at meme.com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein