Unable to use ssh-agent with confirmation, when logged in on a virtual terminal

Johannes Kastl mail at ojkastl.de
Tue Nov 4 06:14:23 EST 2014

Good evening,

sorry if this is the wrong list, I found none that seemed to fit better.

I am trying to get ssh-add with the -c option to work. But I always
get this error:
> Agent admitted failure to sign using the key.

But to start from the beginning.

#################################

On my linux machines (e.g. laptops, ...) I can login without an X
session started/used. The ssh-agent is started from .bashrc. I can
then add an identity with
> ssh-add -c /path/to/keyfile

I try to connect to another server, then the error appears.

I delete the identity from ssh-agent, and add it again without the -c:

> ssh-add /path/to/keyfile

And suddenly I can connect without any errors.

#################################

- - I see this on different machines, mostly running openSUSE. Some are
running ArchLinux, some fedora. All show this error.
- - I see this on physical machines, virtual machines connected via a
console (libvirt/kvm)
- - I get a prompt when trying this using KDE, but although I give my
password, the error appears
- - I also see this if I start a new bash via
> ssh-agent bash

So, I'm puzzled. And I do not know how to debug this. Or where to
start. Or if I understood something completely wrong about the -c option.

Any hints, tipps, tricks are highly appreciated. If you need more
information, please dont hesitate to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Johannes
- --
Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in
all kinds of directions.
(Terry Pratchett: The Truth)