RHEL .spec file patches for openssh-6.7p1

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 06:32:11 EST 2014

A recent thread about someone building 6.7p1 caused me to take a look
at the contrib/redhat/openssh.spec file, and I have a few suggested
changes in the attached patch file.

* Eliminate the '--with-rsh' option, it's no longer supported.

* Hardcode the openssh-devel version dependency, the autoconf expects
at least openssl-0.9.8f That's also why it won't compile on RHEL 5
anymore.

* Always include the source tarball for openssh-x11-askpass in the
SRPM, even if unused, so that the SRPM is always complete for
compilation in other environments.

* Explicitly list dependencies for openssh-x11-askpass: when building
OpenSSH in a 'mock' environment, one can't rely on 'imagke' or
'libXT-devel' or 'gek2-devel' being available.

* Activate some logic for the 'build_6x' option to be derived from the
'rhel' macro value. It's not really equipped to handle RHEL 7 or
Fedora, which ideally should be using systemd instead of SysV init
scripts, but I think folks can work from those RHEL published sources
if they feel the need. RHEL is no longer upenly publishing SRPM's to
the community, the code is now available via git at
https://git.centos.org/.

I've attacked a patch file, and the git clone is at
https://github.com/nkadel/nkadel-openssh-portable/.

                 Nico Kadel-Garcia