Allow the TERM env variable to be overwritten by .ssh/config

Iain Morgan imorgan at nas.nasa.gov
Tue Sep 23 12:06:51 EST 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 15:33:29 -0700, Palmer Dabbelt wrote:
> This is pretty much the same request as an old mailing list thread
>
> http://marc.info/?l=openssh-unix-dev&m=134073696320230&w=2
>
> for almost exactly the same reason: some machines don't have
> new-enough terminal info databases to support newer TERM strings
> ("rxvt-unicode-256color" in my case).  As such, I'd like to be able to
> override the TERM that is forwarded to some machines from my
> .ssh/config.
>
> The solutions proposed in that post don't work well for me because I
> like having a shared .bashrc and don't want to go making it super long
> just to have a big list of hosts that don't support "*-256color".

Perhaps you could use tput to test for terminal capabilities rather than
keeping a list of hosts.

I've had to deal with a somewhat different issue; preferring to suppress
color support. I used to use "tput colors" to test for the number of
colors supported, and re-define TERM as needed. More recently, I taken
to simply overriding the terminfo definitions for those terminal types
that I use by creating a ~/.terminfo directory or ~/.terminfo.db
database.

--
Iain Morgan