Private key (-i key_file) percent_expand problem when path contains percent sign (%)

Mikael Nordfeldth mmn at hethane.se
Sat Apr 18 03:58:29 AEST 2015

I have problems ssh:ing with my private key when the user's.

I run Debian Jessie, with (other than whatever Debian has done)
non-modified OpenSSH:

   $ aptitude show openssh-client |grep Version:
   Version: 1:6.7p1-3

The problem is I get this fatal error without a remote connection being
made:

   $ ssh user at example.com
   percent_expand: unknown key %/

My $HOME is "/srv/www/example.com/%".

If I give the full path to the directory with the -i parameter I get the
same error. If I provide a relative path, with `pwd` equal to $HOME, it
works just fine:

   $ pwd
   /srv/www/kulturhusfestivalen.se/%
   $ ssh -i /srv/www/example.com/%/.ssh/id_rsa user at example.com
   percent_expand: unknown key %/
   $ ssh -i .ssh/id_rsa user at example.com
   The authenticity of host 'example.com'...

So it boils down to the -i parsing with a percent sign (which doesn't
expand) it seems. Anyone else experiencing this or can reproduce it?

--
Mikael Nordfeldth
XMPP/mail: mmn at hethane.se
OpenPGP fpr: AE68 9813 0B7C FCE3 B2FA  727B C7CE 635B B52E 9B31