KEEPALIVE timeout? default taken from server, or other? length settable?

L. A. Walsh openssh at tlinx.org
Fri Apr 24 07:40:11 AEST 2015

I see options for turning keepalive on or off, in both
the server and client config files.

Does one or the other take precendence?

If it is "on", does it use the OS's default values?
Or, if not, are the values settable?

I am running a win-client to OpenSuse/linux server that
has a default TCP_KEEPALIVE set to the linux default of 2 hours.

I don't know if the Win client has its own KEEPALIVE value
(or where I'd set it).

Either way, is there a way to change the default value?

Right now, from the docs (6.2p2-3.1.2.x86_64), it looks
like if I turn off keepalive on Clnt+Serv, then the default on
the server would be used (2 hours?) -- or would some default
on Windows kill it sooner?

(which is why I want to find out if there are KeepAlive vals
on both ends -- and if so, how to change them globally and/or
per openssh-config).

Thanks!