openssh coverage

Böhm István istvan.bohm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 22:56:51 AEST 2015

Hi,

I want to measure the coverage of tests of OpenSSH (one by one), but I
get an error, when I run the connect-privsep test. I can't find out
what is the problem.

$ ./configure --with-cflags="-fprofile-arcs -ftest-coverage"
--with-ldflags="-fprofile-arcs -lgcov"
$ make
$ env TEST_SSH_LOGFILE=/tmp/sshd.log SUDO=sudo make tests LTESTS=connect-privsep

output: http://pastebin.com/eDiC894E
sshd.log: http://pastebin.com/sWRCeQiy

I get a failed proxy connect with privsep error message.

The test runs fine without coverage flags:

$ ./configure
$ make
$ env TEST_SSH_LOGFILE=/tmp/sshd.log SUDO=sudo make tests LTESTS=connect-privsep
... all tests passed

I installed the following packages:

$ sudo apt-get install build-essential
$ sudo apt-get install zlib1g-dev
$ sudo apt-get install libssl-dev

I created the user for privilege separation too:

# mkdir /var/empty
# chown root:sys /var/empty
# chmod 755 /var/empty
# groupadd sshd
# useradd -g sshd -c 'sshd privsep' -d /var/empty -s /bin/false sshd

I tried it on:
Ubuntu 14.04 x64 VM
Ubuntu 14.04 x64
Debian 8 VM

The results were the - same. (VM=Virtual Machine)

I tried other versions of OpenSSH (6.x) too, but the results were the same.

I tried the script of this guy, but the result were the same:
http://cipherdyne.org/blog/2014/08/code-coverage-challenges-for-open-source-projects.html

Could you help me to fix this?

Best Regards,
Istvan