Optional WHOIS netname on login banner

ricky at burg.in ricky at burg.in
Mon Aug 17 19:36:01 AEST 2015

I think this is probably my first post to this mailing list, so hello!

Occasionally I log in to my servers from IP addresses without reverse DNS configured, so sometimes I'll see an IP I don't recognise because I can't remember what I did the day before and get a bit spooked until I WHOIS the IP and find the netname reminds me I logged in from that IP.

I set out prepared to script it, but I understand that the reporting of failed/last logins is only really configurable at source, so instead of submitting a hilarious poorly coded patch from which I receive numerous critique and ridicule, I figured I'd just submit the idea/use-case and hope that at least one of you think it might be a nice idea. Even if I were to be able to submit openssh patches with code that is not awful, I think it sensible to check to see if you'd be prepared to accept such a patch in the first place anyway.

Regards,
Ricky Burgin