OpenSSH-7.1p1

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Dec 24 02:34:44 AEDT 2015

Hi Kevin,

Kevin Lewis wrote:
> I am in the process of installing OpenSSH-7.1p1 on a test AIX Unix
> box. I would like to know how to uninstall or remove this package
> if the need arises.

That would be the job of a package manager. I don't know if there is
one commonly available on AIX.

Because OpenSSH-portable uses automake you can do it pretty easily
yourself too.

The generated Makefiles have a make uninstall target, like the
thousands other packages which use automake.

The uninstall target might not remove every single file, especially
not configuration files or files created by either server or client
as they are being used.

Also thanks to automake, you can do a dummy install into any
destination directory on the system with make install DESTDIR=/some/path

> Can this package be overwritten with a previous package, let's say
> OpenSSH-6.9p1, or any previous version?

Sure, you can install on top. There might still be some files
left-over from the newer version which are not provided by the older
version, one example would be host keys for algorithms only used by
the newer version. They would not be overwritten and of course not
deleted. The older version would also not use them.

> The information contained in this e-mail transmission is confidential
> and may be privileged.

The bank should stop claiming that it transmits confidential email
to open mailing lists known to be publically archived. It looks bad.

//Peter