PermitRootLogin default (was: "PermitRootLogin no" should not proceed with root login)

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Mon Feb 23 09:33:31 AEDT 2015

Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo at scientia.net> writes:

> On Sat, 2015-02-21 at 23:36 +0000, Philip Hands wrote:
>> I'm glad to say that the default for the Debian package
> Unfortunately, Debian overdid it quite a lot and also set a number of
> not so smart (respectively security-critical) defaults:
>
> So it's like 1:1 ;-)

Having looked at the bug you mention, I have to agree that the
ForwardX11Trusted seems to have been misguided at the time it was
applied, and now (over a decade later) seems just plain wrong.

I've followed up on the bug to that effect, Cc-ing you, so you should
have seen that.

Cheers, Phil.

P.S. I take it that you were not trying to say that there's anything you
object to about the proposal to use "without-password" as the default?