Call for testing: OpenSSH 6.8

Tom G. Christensen tgc at jupiterrise.com
Wed Feb 25 03:44:04 AEDT 2015

On 23/02/15 23:05, Damien Miller wrote:
> Thanks - I just committed fixes for both of these

Thank you.

I've switched to HEAD in the git repo and it now builds on Solaris 2.6,
7, 8 and 9 but the testsuite still cannot be built due to the missing
<err.h>.

I noticed one of the changes was about HOST_NAME_MAX but I don't think
that change addresses the real issue on at least these old Solaris systems.
It looks to me like the fall back in defines.h was not activated because
Solaris has MAXHOSTNAMELEN in <netdb.h> which has not been included when
defines.h tries to find a fall back HOST_NAME_MAX.
Looking at sshd.c with gcc -dD -E confirms it as defines.h now set
HOST_NAME_MAX to 255 and later <netdb.h> is included which then defines
MAXHOSTNAMELEN to 256.
I don't know if it would be reasonable to include <netdb.h> from
includes.h but that would make HOST_NAME_MAX fall back to MAXHOSTNAMELEN
on at least Solaris < 10.

-tgc