OpenSSH_6.7p1 hostbased authentication failing on linux->linux connection. what's wrong with my config?

Tim Rice tim at multitalents.net
Sat Jan 10 05:48:32 AEDT 2015

On Fri, 9 Jan 2015, grantksupport at operamail.com wrote:

| 			OpenSSH_6.7p1, OpenSSL 1.0.1j 15 Oct 2014

| I have configured for hostbased authentication
|
| 	client ssh_config
| 		PreferredAuthentications           hostbased,publickey
| 		HostbasedAuthentication            yes
| 		PubkeyAuthentication               yes
| 		PasswordAuthentication             no
|
| 	server sshd_config
| 		AuthenticationMethods              hostbased,publickey
| 		HostbasedAuthentication            yes
| 		HostbasedUsesNameFromPacketOnly    yes
| 		PubkeyAuthentication               yes
| 		PasswordAuthentication             no
|
| on the server, because I'm not entirely sure where to put it yet
|
| 	echo "client.DOMAIN.COM" > /etc/shosts.equiv
| 	echo "client.DOMAIN.COM" > /usr/local/etc/shosts.equiv

| What's wrong or missing in my config?

My ssh_config has
Host *
  HostbasedAuthentication yes
  EnableSSHKeysign yes
  NoHostAuthenticationForLocalhost yes

NoHostAuthenticationForLocalhost is not necessary.
The one you are missing is EnableSSHKeysign.

Additionally, you made no mention of your ssh_known_hosts files. Make
sure the client's public keys are in the server's ssh_known_hosts file.

--
Tim Rice				Multitalents
tim at multitalents.net