Usability issue when forced to change password when logging in to a system

John Olsson M john.m.olsson at ericsson.com
Mon Jan 26 18:34:48 AEDT 2015

On 2015-01-24 03:46, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
>> So I am wondering if there is any reason for doing like this?
>> Data hygiene is one.
> Also, in my opinion as more of an admin than a developer, any bug in a
> routine that stores psswords temporary in plain text is *begging* to
> have a bug or get an unexpected modification that publishes the
> passwords somewhere else.  Basically, never handle or store dangerous
> information that you don't *have* to store.

There is always a need to strike a balance between security and
usability. Sometimes it is missed that good usability also gives good
security...

What about changing the dialog like this? (The instructions matches
better what it is the system wants to user to actually do, that is first
enter the old password and then start thinking about the new password.)

Login As: Foobar
Password:
Your password has expired. Retype your old password.
Old Password:
Choose a new password.
New Password:
Retype your new password
New Password:

Could this be implemented without the need for caching any password (old
or new) in clear text?

/John