SSH over websockets

Michael Felt aixtools at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 19:28:20 AEDT 2015

I must be missing the point here somehow. From my simple mind I think that
two things would be needed - first a mod, e.g., mod_sshd, or better an
addition to mod_auth and mod_proxy so that a URL could be used to initiate
contact to an sshd server elsewhere.
The mod_auth part could/should be used to verity the credentials to used -
basically setting up the VPN between ssh and httpd as ssh; the httpd server
would setup it's own separate connection with the target sshd - with
mod_proxy_logic - to verify that the httpd server can and will make a
connection. Lastly, to prevent a continous man in the middle the original
ssh client would make a second connection to establish ciphers, mac and kex
via the two connections using the httpd as man-in-the-middle.

This is awkward - I apologize - but what I think I am saying is that the
goal is to setup something similar to an IKE tunnel - except the
destination end-point leap frogs. To maintain encryption the ssh client
will need to have a secret key with the target sshd - but to communicate it
would need to encrypt twice - once for the 'hop' to the httpd server - who
would undo that envelope and then send this encrypted message forward -
functioning more as a router because it would not necessarily need to
encrypt it again to get it there.
The reply, assuming the httpd is not re-encrypting the encrypted message,
is a bit more complex - i.e., needs openssh cooperation/understanding.
"Somehow" sshd knows there is a proxy in the middle so it also does a
double encryption - initial for the other "endpoint", and one for the first
hop back to the httpd (let me call it) - mid-way point.
Now - repackaging/encryption will be needed so the ssh client is able to
recognize IP endpoints.

I suppose - there could also be requirements where re-encryption by httpd
is always needed - because of firewall rules only permitting the httpd IP
address endpoint to pass through ipsec/ipfilter rules.

Personally - under the assumption it can be done - I doubt I would want my
httpd server to be handling this kind of load. Nor would I want to be the
one - depending on a role, e.g., to say to my boss, or to say to a customer
buying security consultation services that "openssh is great - we have
added stuff that can be used to bypass firewalls.

If this kind of tunneling is something I want to support I would examine
using openssh - ASIS - plus a virtual machine aka "jailed process" with
it's own IP address and just use normal openssh tunneling from port X
(e.g., X==80) to somewhere else.

my 3 and half bits :-)