Feature request

Scott Neugroschl scott_n at xypro.com
Fri Jul 24 06:50:53 AEST 2015

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015, Lars Bahner wrote:

> Hepp!
>
> I am sitting in a remote country trying to reboot my server at home.
> Services are running, but the filesystem seems to be unreachable.
> I can ssh into the system, but when entering interactive mode, nothing
> happens and the session is terminated. Then I thought - what if sshd
> had builtins like bash, so that i could send a "reboot"
> command to the ssh daemon instead "ssh system /sbin/reboot"
> andd sshd could tell PID 1 to reboot.

Tim Rice then said:

With filesystem problems you may not be able to read/execute /sbin/reboot.

Use a public key to do wahat wou want. Something like this in root's authorizd_keys file.

from="<your home machine>",command="/sbin/reboot",no-X11-forwarding,no-agent-forwarding <your key here>

> There are, of course, a lot things to think about here, but I really
> think this would be a good thing to think about implementing. It sure
> would've helped me now.

Of course, this presumes that he's logging in as root.  If he's got a distro which disables root login, he's screwed, because he'd need to log in and sudo.