DH_GRP_MIN is currently 1024, should it be bumped to 2048?

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Mon Jul 27 11:30:21 AEST 2015

On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 9:25 AM, Mark D. Baushke <mdb at juniper.net> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Given the weakness with Diffie-Hellman modp groups less than 2048, is it
> time to bump the suggested 1024 bit minimum value from the RFC 4419 to a
> more current 2048 value for OpenSSH 7.0?

DH_GRP_MIN is used for 2 things:
 a) the client's minimum acceptable group size sent in the DH-GEX request.
 b) the lower bound of the group size picked out of the moduli file.

For a), the OpenSSH client has asked for preferred sizes no less that 2k
bits for a couple of years [1].  Changing the minimum in this case would
have no effect on (RFC compliant) servers that have groups >= 2k, and would
probably cause a connection failure on ones that do not.

For b), we recently removed the 1k groups from the moduli file, so the
minimum that can be offered is 1.5 kbit.

What would be the desired outcome of such a change to DH_GRP_MIN?
Rendering it such that DH-GEX doesn't work for a given connection makes it
much more likely that the connection would use one of the fixed groups, and
group1 in particular seems at much higher risk for LogJam style attacks
than even a 1k group from a large and changing set.

[1]
https://anongit.mindrot.org/openssh.git/commit/?id=df62d71e64d29d1054e7a53d1a801075ef70335f
[2]
https://anongit.mindrot.org/openssh.git/commit/moduli?id=5ab7d5fa03ad55bc438fab45dfb3aeb30a3c237a