Updating from 6.6 - 6.9 SSH

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Tue Jul 28 14:53:02 AEST 2015

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Nick Stanoszek <nstanoszek at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi I am having issues withupdating ssh from 6.6 to 6.9.  When i update it,
> it works; however, I cannot successfully SSH back into the server.  I get a
> publickey error.

Exactly what error?

> I am following the directions here:
>

> https://kenkoehlerca.wordpress.com/2015/01/07/upgrading-to-openssh-6-7p1-on-ubuntu/comment-page-1/#comment-4

I would guess that you didn't actually follow those directions, in
particular this bit:

 sudo ./configure  –sysconfdir=/etc/ssh

Leaving aside that there's no need to run that under sudo, omitting the
sysconfdir will end up with the host keys in /usr/local/etc, and since they
won't exist there you'll get a fresh set generated rather than using the
ones in /etc/ssh, which will cause a hostkey mismatch.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.