Call for testing: OpenSSH 6.9

aixtools aixtools at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 21:56:36 AEST 2015

On 2015-06-07 1:45 PM, aixtools wrote:
> On 2015-06-03 2:43 AM, Ron Frederick wrote:

>>> You should use /var/run/sshd on Ubuntu. Don't use a directory with
>>> other
>>> stuff in it.
> I added --with-privsep-path=/var/run/sshd (as non-root) and when I ran
> "make tests" it aborted when /var/run did not exist - but ran normally
> when /var/run (only exists). but is not writeable by the non-root user
> (i.e., cannot mkdir /var/run/sshd either - so why die when /var/run is
> not there?)
>
> root at x064:[/]ls -ld /var/run
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root system 256 Jun  7 11:31 /var/run
> root at x064:[/]ls -l /var/run
> total 0

Shall I add a feature request - to have these tests ALSO run as root,
and privsep is tested as downgrading from root, rather than SUDO up to root.

And, if someone will be willing to assist me with how to integrate some
tests I would work on some tests for AIX using AIX's version of RBAC for
privelidge control. (FYI, I will be researching what sshd actually needs
to be run without 'root' as a kickstart - and, in all honesty, am hoping
there is some interest to see configuration example and tests in
openssh-portable)

And the message above (about make tests stopping when /var/run does not
exist) - looks like I forgot reply to all the first time, sigh.