What does the socks function of openssh hide?

Flavien flavien-ssh at lebarbe.net
Fri Jun 19 01:59:32 AEST 2015

Hi,

What client software were you proxying with socks ? Could it be
Firefox ? I was quite surprised once to see that by default firefox
did *not* proxy the dns queries through socks. I had to set some
advance option to force that.

This could explain your situation : the DNS of the public wifi hotspot
sent you to youtube servers close to you, not the ones close to
your server.

Flavien.