What does the socks function of openssh hide?

Eldon Koyle esk-openssh at esk.cs.usu.edu
Fri Jun 19 02:04:01 AEST 2015

Hi Mark,

On  Jun 18 10:55-0400, Mark Lee wrote:
<snip>
> in my area. The socks server I was connected to definitely had the ability to
> connect to youtube, so I concluded the issue was with the public wifi hotspot.
> How much does socks tunneling with openssh obscure?
<snip>

I suspect your DNS requests are going across your normal network
connection.  It looks like a lot of browsers require additional
configuration to push DNS traffic over socks:

http://serverfault.com/questions/337791/if-i-am-using-ssh-for-a-socks-proxy-do-dns-connections-go-through-it

--
Eldon Koyle
Information Technology