sshd and consequences of HostKeyAgent

Igor Bukanov igor at mir2.org
Sun Jun 21 05:12:45 AEST 2015

Hello,

I tried to use HostKeyAgent with sshd 6.7 under Linux. That worked for
Linux clients. However, when I tried to connect from OpenSSH 6.2 under
Mac OS X, the server disconnects:

debug2: bits set: 1026/2048
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
Connection closed by 84.22.97.209

When I disabled HostKeyAgent and switched HostKey back to the private
keys, then I could connect from the Mac client again.This implies that
HostKeyAgent somehow affects the bytes that are sent to the client.

Why is it so? I.e. shouldn't HostKeyAgent just be an implementation
detail that should not affect the client in any way?