[Q] TCP segment sent is larger than peers advertised MSS

Thomas Portmann Thomas.Portmann at bger.ch
Tue Jun 30 19:28:27 AEST 2015

On 06/26/2015 05:10 PM, Gert Doering wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 02:44:30PM +0200, Thomas Portmann wrote:

Hello Gert and all,

>> Why is it that the client seems to ignore the servers MSS?
> TCP segmentation offloading in your network card.
>
> So tcpdump is lying to you if you want to know "what packets are really
> travelling over the wire".

It turns out Gert was right (and I didn't even know TCP segmentation
offloading exists)... but the mean thing is, even doing port mirroring
to another computer, TCP segement reassembly happened on the monitoring
computer in the NIC, so in wireshark I just saw one large frame, until I
changed the NIC!

So, thank you Greg for your hint and Flavien for your response

Regards

     tom