FYI: SSH1 now disabled at compile-time by default

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Mar 25 19:45:00 AEDT 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 10:26:22AM +1100, Damien Miller wrote:
> OpenSSH git master now disabled SSH protocol 1 at compile time by
> default. If you want it back, then you'll need to pass --with-ssh1
> to configure before you build.

I applaud the decision to remove ssh v1 (by default) from the sshd side
of things.  OTOH, I have to deal with lots of stupid and old devices that
do not offer SSH v2 (Routers, Switches, that sort of stuff), so having v1
in the *client* (only!) is something I would miss...

SSHv1 might not be great, but it's better than (unencrypted) telnet.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de