OpenSSH-7.1p1 fails configure check with LibreSSL-2.2.4

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Tue Nov 10 10:35:39 AEDT 2015

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 9:22 AM, Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm attempting to compile openssh-7.1p1 using libressl-2.2.4 for the
> ssl implementation. Unfortunately, this fails to work (tested on
> Debian Unstable and Gentoo):
[...]
> conftest.c:225:4: warning: implicit declaration of function 'exit'
> [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
>     exit(1);
>     ^

These things are noise.  I'll fix them, but they're not the cause of
your problem.

> ./conftest: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.35:

This is the problem: configure is telling the linker to link against
libcrypto in the libressl directory but you have not told the runtime
linker to look there for shared libraries, so your binaries (in this
case, the configure test) fail at runtime.

To fix this you probably want to either:
 - add /opt/libressl-2.2.4/lib to /etc/ld.conf or /etc/ld.conf.d/ and
run ldconfig
 - remove the .so files from /opt/libressl-2.2.4/lib so that the
linker will pick up the static libcrypto.

> doing:
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/libressl-2.2.4
>
> Works around this issue, and allows OpenSSH to compile (though some
> tests fail that don't with openssl-1.0.2d.

That'll help anything that inherits the environment, but anything that
sanitizes its environment (eg sudo) will fail, and the resulting
binaries won't work without the environment variable.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.