How to add configuration (~/.ssh/config) per ip?

hubert depesz lubaczewski depesz at depesz.com
Wed Nov 18 21:25:43 AEDT 2015

Hi,
at work we have hundreds of machines, and for various of reasons, their
hostnames (with domain) do not reflect their physical location.
This means that for host "a.bb.cc" i have to go through jump host
"jump1.bb.cc", and for "c.bb.cc" i have to go through jump host
"jump2.bb.cc".

which jump host should be used can be deduced by IP, but it looks that
rules like:

Host 10.1.*
    ProxyCommand ssh -W %h:%p jump1.bb.cc

Are not being applied when I just:

ssh a.bb.cc

Is there any way to make ssh apply rules both based on name and based on
ip?

I could, of course, add special rule for each hostname, but that would
mean that my ~/.ssh/config will be huge, and constantly change (new
hosts added, old hosts removed).

Best regards,

depesz

--
The best thing about modern society is how easy it is to avoid contact with it.
                                                             http://depesz.com/