ssh-copy-id bugfix

Jakub Jelen jjelen at redhat.com
Thu Nov 26 02:04:28 AEDT 2015

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 6:07 AM, Ruediger Meier <sweet_f_a at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Personally I think it's hard enough to write POSIX compatible shell
>> scripts and I wouldn't start to add such hacks for fish and tcsh.
>> Next week somebody may complain that his "shell" does not
>> support "exec ...".
> Making things work for more people, when it doesn't introduce a
> security risk or break other tools, seems very reasonable. And there
> are people out there who who do use both fish and tcsh.
>
> What seems to be missing in the patch is a comment line, above the
> stanza, explaining why the code uses "exec". It's great to be clever
> and solve a problem, but it boosts your pay and makes people who
> follow in your role hate you a lot less if they can understand why you
> chose a particular solution.
Currently, it is the only solution we have and works for conventional
shells as well as for fish and tcsh. Maybe there are other solutions,
better or worse. I am no expert on different shells and their
compatibility, so I just shared what we actually use across our systems
for some time and which works for us, so other interested can benefit
from it. I am not forcing anyone to use it.

I completely agree that there should be some wider reasoning behind
every change. But here we have just "experience" with larger subset of
shells used these days.

Regards,

--
Jakub Jelen