(rfc) too many keys, usecase?

Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com
Thu Apr 14 21:19:24 AEST 2016

There is no /root/.ssh/authorized_keys on remote host, so I have to
authenticate with password.

On the remote host:

	# /usr/sbin/sshd -T | egrep permitroot
	permitrootlogin yes

Attempting:

	$ ssh root@<remotehost>

shows:

	Received disconnect from <remotehost> port 22:2: Too many authentication failures for root
	packet_write_wait: Connection to <remotehost> port 22: Broken pipe
	mux_client_request_session: read from master failed: Broken pipe
	Failed to connect to new control master

Yes, I do have a few keys in ~/.ssh and use ControlMaster:

	debug1: Offering RSA public key: <userhomedir>/.ssh/id_rsa
	debug1: Offering RSA public key: <userhomedir>/.ssh/id_rsa
	debug1: Offering RSA public key: <userhomedir>/.ssh/another_id_rsa
	debug1: Trying private key: <userhomedir>/.ssh/id_dsa
	debug1: Offering ECDSA public key: <userhomedir>/.ssh/id_ecdsa
	debug1: Offering ED25519 public key: <userhomedir>/.ssh/id_ed25519
	debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
	Received disconnect from <remote> port 22:2: Too many authentication failures for root

Yes, I know about MaxAuthTries and I used it as a workaround.  Still,
I would imagine the remote server knows there's no point refusing the
slient offered keys one after the other, as none will work.  Why then
not telling the client there's no point trying, use password instead?

Cheers,

--
Cristian