Backspace key does not work in a ssh chroot jail

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Thu Apr 21 06:48:26 AEST 2016

Have you looked at your 'stty' settings? Do
    stty -a
and see what the 'erase' variable equates to.

What are you using for an SSH client? On what OS? Some clients can pass
along settings during the login procedure.

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016, John wrote:

> I setup a ssh chroot jail following this[1] guide.  It works for my user to login, use ls and use scp which is all I really want.  I do have a problem I cannot solve: when connected and navigating the filesystem, the backspace key actually moves the cursor forward and does not delete what I type.
>
> I may have found a hint from some googling that readline will read in /etc/inputrc on login but if this is true, I am unsure what component of readline might I require to copy over from the live system into the chroot jail.
>
> For reference, I include the tree view of the chroot jail I created below.  Thank you kindly for any suggestions.
>
> % tree -a /var/jail
>
> /var/jail
> ├── .bashrc
> ├── bin -> usr/bin
> ├── dev
> │   ├── null
> │   ├── random
> │   ├── tty
> │   └── zero
> ├── etc
> │   ├── group
> │   ├── inputrc
> │   ├── passwd
> │   └── profile
> ├── lib -> usr/lib
> ├── lib64 -> usr/lib64
> └── usr
> ├── bin
> │   ├── bash
> │   ├── ls
> │   └── scp
> ├── lib
> │   ├── libcap.so.2
> │   ├── libc.so.6
> │   ├── libdl.so.2
> │   ├── libncursesw.so.6
> │   ├── libnss3.so
> │   ├── libnssckbi-p11-kit.so
> │   ├── libnssckbi.so
> │   ├── libnss_compat-2.23.so
> │   ├── libnss_compat.so
> │   ├── libnss_compat.so.2
> │   ├── libnss_db-2.23.so
> │   ├── libnssdbm3.chk
> │   ├── libnssdbm3.so
> │   ├── libnss_db.so
> │   ├── libnss_db.so.2
> │   ├── libnss_dns-2.23.so
> │   ├── libnss_dns.so
> │   ├── libnss_dns.so.2
> │   ├── libnss_files-2.23.so
> │   ├── libnss_files.so
> │   ├── libnss_files.so.2
> │   ├── libnss_hesiod-2.23.so
> │   ├── libnss_hesiod.so
> │   ├── libnss_hesiod.so.2
> │   ├── libnss_myhostname.so.2
> │   ├── libnss_mymachines.so.2
> │   ├── libnss_nis-2.23.so
> │   ├── libnss_nisplus-2.23.so
> │   ├── libnss_nisplus.so
> │   ├── libnss_nisplus.so.2
> │   ├── libnss_nis.so
> │   ├── libnss_nis.so.2
> │   ├── libnss_resolve.so.2
> │   ├── libnsssysinit.so
> │   ├── libnssutil3.so
> │   ├── libnss_winbind.so
> │   ├── libnss_winbind.so.2
> │   ├── libnss_wins.so
> │   ├── libnss_wins.so.2
> │   └── libreadline.so.6
> [...]

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
  company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com
             fax: (US) 503-624-0760
             web: http://www.anzio.com
  street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
                  10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
                  Portland, OR  97223  USA