Feature request for ssh-add

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Aug 11 02:37:57 AEST 2016

On Wed 2016-08-10 11:29:37 -0400, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
> Ajay Ramjatan asks if it would be ok to have:
>
> A config file that contains list of DSA/RSA/ED25519 entries to be
> added, when run by default.
>
> Currently According to the man page:
> "
> Alternative file names can be given on the command line. If any file
> requires a passphrase, ssh-add asks for the passphrase from the user.
> "
>
> Instead of specifying each key file, a single file such as .config
> would contain:
> AgentDefaultKey ~/.ssh/client1_rsa.private ~/.ssh/client2_ed25519
> ~/.ssh/client3_ed25519.

Is the goal to modify ssh-add to read this list, or to make it so that
ssh-agent tries to load these keys when it is initialized?

If we're talking about ssh-add, wouldn't it be just as easy to write a
brief shell script or alias to have the same effect?

To express my own tastes: I like the cleanliness of ssh-add's current
interface, and wouldn't want to introduce a new config file to have to
worry about parsing, dealing with errors, etc.

Regards,

        --dkg