Who uses UseLogin?

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Tue Aug 16 23:23:28 AEST 2016

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 01:27:00PM +1000, Damien Miller wrote:
> Does anyone set sshd's UseLogin=yes? If so, why?

I've used it in a vendor hacked version of sshd (boks_sshd, from Fox
Technologies) because that didn't have PAM support (it had its own AAA
subsystem that was more flexible - eg separate rules for SCP, login shell,
non-login remote commands, SFTP and so on).  This meant that things like
pam_limits didn't work; UseLogin was a workaround for the rare cases
where it was needed.  The vendor has since fixed their code to support
PAM "session" so it's not even needed there, any more.

But that's the only place I've needed UseLogin :-)

--

rgds
Stephen