Evaluating a port to RTEMS (embedded OS with single address space and no processes)

Christian Mauderer christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de
Fri Feb 5 01:19:36 AEDT 2016

Am 04.02.2016 um 14:46 schrieb Roland Mainz:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 1:40 PM, Christian Mauderer
> <christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
>> I am searching a SSH server for remote administration of an embedded
>> application running on RTEMS (https://www.rtems.org). This environment
>> has neither virtual memory nor user and kernel space. So this is like an
>> application running in kernel mode only.
>>
>> Would it be possible to run (a very basic version of) OpenSSH in such an
>> environment using e.g. threads instead of forking new subprocesses? Is
>> there already some known similar configuration (e.g. on another embedded
>> OS)?
>
> Well, not much harder than a port to the original m68k AmigaOS or most
> of the military-oriented embedded OSes... not hard but lots of work
> (unless you have an existing POSIX(-like) layer emulation), mostly
> related to resource tracking and the socket stuff.

Hello Roland,

thanks for the quick answer. I must have overlooked these ports. I have
mostly seen the list of full Unixes on this page:

  http://www.openssh.com/portable.html

After your hint, I noted that there are a lot more ports in the sources.
Is there some kind of porting guide or a hint where to begin reading
documentation?

If we would create a port: Would it be theoretically possible to
contribute it to the official sources?

For the POSIX-layer: RTEMS implements a part of the POSIX standard (or
at least of the embedded subset of POSIX). But like I said it doesn't
have processes but only threads.

Kind Regards

Christian Mauderer

embedded brains GmbH