Arguments, whitespace, splitting, and shells (& compatibility)

Philipp Marek philipp.marek at linbit.com
Fri Feb 12 22:34:37 AEDT 2016

Quite some time ago there was a bit of discussion whether SSH can change
it's (information-destroying) way of passing commands to the remote host
(whitespace in an argument gets split up, too).

[[To reproduce:
    # echo "yes              no"
    yes              no
but
    # ssh <host> echo "yes              no"
    yes no
]]

For other problematic things, check "scp" for filenames containing spaces.

Now, I'm well aware that the default for so many years can't be changed
(easily); but how about a new option that repairs that behaviour?  This
way new scripts can just add that, and don't have to work around broken
tools ;/ (sorry, but it's really cumbersome).

I believe there was a patch already; googling found me the (a) old
discussion at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openssh/dev/9249,
but the patch (if it exists, perhaps I'm still misremembering) escaped
me.

Please, let's try to find a solution for that...
if not for any other reasons, then to make "ssh" a simple cloud-provider, too ;)

Thank you!

Regards,

Phil