host key for IPv6 not in known_hosts message

Michael Gebhard m.gebhard.91 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 11:43:30 AEDT 2016

Hello,

I have a server whose public key associated with it's domain name and IPv4 address
is in my known_hosts, I also have set the StrictHostKeyChecking option.

When trying to connect via IPv6 ssh prints:
RSA host key for IP address [...] not in list of known hosts.
and asks for my private key passphrase.

When trying to connect via IPv6 with the IPv6 address associated with
the servers public key in my known_hosts,
ssh asks for my passphrase and connects normally.

When trying to connect via IPv6 with the public key removed from my known_hosts
ssh refuses to connect.

The message "RSA host key for IP..." implies that the public key is missing
yet ssh neither prompts the fingerprint (without StrictHostKeyChecking)
nor refuses to connect (with StrictHostKeyChecking)
nor does it mention that the key is there just not associated with the
shown IP address.