SSH multi factor authentication

Bruce F Bading badingb at us.ibm.com
Fri Jul 8 00:00:28 AEST 2016

Hi Gentlemen,

Thank you both for your valued opinion.  I do however agree that public key
authentication cannot be fully considered MFA as have 2 PCI QSAs I have
spoken with.  This is because it is not enforceable server side.  Many
things can affect client side security.

It is distributable and not enforceable at a single point.
The key can be regenerated or downloaded again and regenerated to remove
the paraphrase making it single factor authentication.
Keystoke loggers can log the keystrokes to unlock the key and capture it in
band on the client.
RSA and OTP generated by google authenticator w/password authentication can
occur out of band and since enforceable on the server side are much more
difficult to breach.

Again, I want to thank you both for your valued opinion and which everyone
a very great day.

Sincerely,
Bruce F. Bading
Senior Security Consultant

IBM Systems and Technology Group
830-237-6851
badingb at us.ibm.com
member ISACA since 1985

"United We Stand"

For those with risk, your time to remediate is today.
For those who have been breached, your time to remediate was yesterday!