Openssh use enumeration

Selphie Keller selphie.keller at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 12:31:34 AEST 2016

Ahh i see, just got up to speed on the issue, so seems like the issue is
related to blowfish being faster then sha family hashing for longer length
passwords, so there is a time lag difference between the blowfish internal
hash and the sha family hash, though this could be tricky to fix since some
systems may still use blowfish based hashing and changing the internal hash
from blowfish to sha to fix this for modern systems may invalidate it
inversely on older systems, where this attack can be done to find the
difference in the other direction of taking to long. Some sorta of hybrid
solution of computing hashes based on what the system is actively using
should resolve the timing issue. So if this is on a newer system using sha
family for hashing it would use a sha family hash to be the fall back for
accounts and blowfish if it's on a system using blowfish.