Openssh use enumeration

Selphie Keller selphie.keller at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 13:02:57 AEST 2016

I wonder if could be useful to set the fall back account to something user
defined to avoid suggesting people add passwords to root, though I do like
root since the account is always there, but I myself would do that invalid
pass before actually adding a real pass to root, however I think it would
be nice if there was a sshd_config option for fallback_timing_account to
let the user specify something other then root like some generic user they
already have that doesn't involve root. Or have ssh create an dummy account
on the system that has only a invalid password. The fall back to DES seems
ok, but not sure it would fully resolve the issue, since timing for DES and
sha family would be different, but does fix the instant fail for crypt not
understanding blowfish. The random delay idea is pretty good it would make
timing analysis difficult. I wonder if DES + random delay in event root has
no password could be an option.