Call for testing: OpenSSH 7.3
djm at mindrot.org
Fri Jul 22 14:40:04 AEST 2016
OpenSSH 5.3 is almost ready for release, so we would appreciate testing
on as many platforms and systems as possible. This release contains some
substantial new features and a number of bugfixes.
Snapshot releases for portable OpenSSH are available from
The OpenBSD version is available in CVS HEAD:
Portable OpenSSH is also available via anonymous CVS using the
instructions at http://www.openssh.com/portable.html#cvs or
via Git at https://anongit.mindrot.org/openssh.git/
Running the regression tests supplied with Portable OpenSSH does not
require installation and is a simply:
$ ./configure && make tests
Live testing on suitable non-production systems is also
appreciated. Please send reports of success or failure to
openssh-unix-dev at mindrot.org.
Below is a summary of changes. More detail may be found in the ChangeLog
in the portable OpenSSH tarballs.
Thanks to the many people who contributed to this release.
Changes since OpenSSH 7.2
This is primarily a bugfix release.
* sshd(8): Mitigate a potential denial-of-service attack against
the system's crypt(3) function via sshd(8). An attacker could
send very long passwords that would cause excessive CPU use in
crypt(3). sshd(8) now refuses to accept password authentication
requests of length greater than 1024 characters. Independently
reported by Tomas Kuthan (Oracle) and curesec via coredump at
* sshd(8): Mitigate timing differences in password authentication
that could be used to discern valid from invalid account names
when long passwords were sent and particular password hashing
algorithms are in use on the server. CVE-2016-6210, reported by
EddieEzra.Harari at verint.com
* ssh(1), sshd(8): Fix observable timing weakness in the CBC padding
oracle countermeasures. Reported by Jean Paul Degabriele, Kenny
Paterson, Torben Hansen and Martin Albrecht. Note that CBC ciphers
are disabled by default and only included for legacy compatibility.
* ssh(1), sshd(8): Improve ordering ordering of MAC verification for
Encrypt-then-MAC (EtM) mode transport MAC algorithms to verify the
MAC before decrypting any ciphertext. This removes the possibility
of timing differences leaking facts about the plaintext, though no
such leakage has been observed. Reported by Jean Paul Degabriele,
Kenny Paterson, Torben Hansen and Martin Albrecht.
* sshd(8): (portable only) Ignore PAM environment vars when
UseLogin=yes. If PAM is configured to read user-specified
environment variables and UseLogin=yes in sshd_config, then a
hostile local user may attack /bin/login via LD_PRELOAD or
similar environment variables set via PAM. CVE-2015-8325,
found by Shayan Sadigh.
* ssh(1): Add a ProxyJump option and corresponding -J command-line
flag to allow simplified indirection through a one or more SSH
bastions or "jump hosts".
* ssh(1): Add an IdentityAgent option to allow specifying specific
agent sockets instead of accepting one from the environment.
* ssh(1): Allow ExitOnForwardFailure and ClearAllForwardings to be
optionally overridden when using ssh -W. bz#2577
* ssh(1), sshd(8): Implement support for the IUTF8 terminal mode as
* ssh(1), sshd(8): Add support for additional fixed Diffie-Hellman
2K, 4K and 8K groups from draft-ietf-curdle-ssh-kex-sha2-03.
* ssh-keygen(1), ssh(1), sshd(8): support SHA256 and SHA512 RSA
signatures in certificates;
* ssh(1): Add an Include directive for ssh_config(5) files.
* ssh(1): Permit UTF-8 characters in pre-authentication banners sent
from the server. bz#2058
* ssh(1), sshd(8): Reduce the syslog level of some relatively common
protocol events from LOG_CRIT. bz#2585
* sshd(8): Refuse AuthenticationMethods="" in configurations and
accept AuthenticationMethods=any for the default behaviour of not
requiring multiple authentication. bz#2398
* sshd(8): Remove obsolete and misleading "POSSIBLE BREAK-IN
ATTEMPT!" message when forward and reverse DNS don't match. bz#2585
* ssh(1): Close ControlPersist background process stderr except
in debug mode or when logging to syslog. bz#1988
* misc: Make PROTOCOL description for direct-streamlocal at openssh.com
channel open messages match deployed code. bz#2529
* ssh(1): Deduplicate LocalForward and RemoteForward entries to fix
failures when both ExitOnForwardFailure and hostname
canonicalisation are enabled. bz#2562
* sshd(8): Remove fallback from moduli to obsolete "primes" file
that was deprecated in 2001. bz#2559.
* sshd_config(5): Correct description of UseDNS: it affects ssh
hostname processing for authorized_keys, not known_hosts; bz#2554
* ssh(1): Fix authentication using lone certificate keys in an agent
without corresponding private keys on the filesystem. bz#2550
* sshd(8): Send ClientAliveInterval pings when a time-based
RekeyLimit is set; previously keepalive packets were not being
* ssh(1), sshd(8): Fix compilation by automatically disabling ciphers
not supported by OpenSSL. bz#2466
* misc: Fix compilation failures on some versions of AIX's compiler
related to the definition of the VA_COPY macro. bz#2589
* sshd(8): Whitelist more architectures to enable the seccomp-bpf
* ssh-agent(1), sftp-server(8): Disable process tracing on Solaris
using setpflags(__PROC_PROTECT, ...). bz#2584
* sshd(8): On Solaris, don't call Solaris setproject() with
UsePAM=yes it's PAM's responsibility. bz#2425
OpenSSH is brought to you by Markus Friedl, Niels Provos, Theo de
Raadt, Kevin Steves, Damien Miller, Darren Tucker, Jason McIntyre,
Tim Rice and Ben Lindstrom.
More information about the openssh-unix-dev