MaxDisplays configuration option

Alexander Wuerstlein arw at cs.fau.de
Fri Jun 3 18:52:50 AEST 2016

On 2016-06-03T07:35, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 9:51 PM, AG <openssh at mzpqnxow.com> wrote:
> > Also, I'm curious if this issue has ever come up before? Is it really that
> > strange of a case?
>
> From decades in the field, I'd say It's pretty weird. I've not
> personally seen anything approaching that number of clients on a
> single server in..... well, not since I worked with Multics back in
> the 1980's. Dozens on a robust system, yes. One thousand?

We do have some boxes with concurrent ssh-users in the lower 3-digit
range. But in general this seems to be rare, especially since software
is often unprepared for and untested in that amount of activity (see
e.g. https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/1961).

For the number of X displays, there was never any issue, usually since
CPU and memory resources run out long before you run out of display
numbers. Users just pick another box or their laptop, if applications
are slow, so the number of X displays is self-limiting ;)

Ciao,

Alexander Wuerstlein.