ssh-copy-id no newline bug

Colin Watson cjwatson at debian.org
Mon Mar 21 07:30:33 AEDT 2016

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 03:51:23PM -0400, Stephen Harris wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 07:30:01PM +0000, Alex Bligh wrote:
> > On 20 Mar 2016, at 19:15, Philip Hands <phil at hands.com> wrote:
> > > Is anyone going to be upset by the resulting blank lines being added by
> > > ssh-copy-id when the file was not missing a terminating newline?
> >
> > Well it would be at least mildly annoying my previously nice looking file
> > now has a pile of blank lines in just because someone didn't know
> > how to use their editor ...
>
> You can be pretty sure it'd end up causing a bug report as well
> ("ssh-copy-id introduces blank lines into good files").

How about something like:

  if [ "$(sed -n '${s/.*//;p}' ~/.ssh/authorized_keys | wc -l)" = 0 ]; then
    echo >> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
  fi

I feel like there must be a neater but still portable way to do this,
and the above would require some careful quoting to work in the context
of ssh-copy-id.

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson at debian.org]