SBC's and ssh's encryptions

Douglas E Engert deengert at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 10:40:54 AEDT 2016

On 11/27/2016 5:21 PM, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
>> The odroid64 already has an x system running as soon as I log into
>> the odroid64.  Its $DISPLAY is :0
>
> That's fine. Remember to run xhost +192.168.71.pi on odroid64.
>

>> the pi cannot open the display on the odroid64.
>
> Show an error message when starting e.g. xterm on pi.
>

>> an echo $DISPLAY on the pi shows: (after I've done the commands)
>> 192.168.71.9:0

That looks like the local display in the pi but you said it has no monitor is attached.

If you ran ssh on odroid64 and had the X11 Forwarding correct, the sshd on pi will set up an X proxy
on pi and set DISPLAY=localhost:10.0 for the first user and pass this to the user in the environment
On the pi you also need /etc/ssh/sshd_config:
X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10
If you have a ~/.ssh/rc file on the pi you may need to add code to process the cookie and set the DISPLAY.
See the man ssh on the pi,. look for DISPLAY
This is done before the login shell, so you must not set the
DISPLAY again in your login files.

Just ran some tests using my old pi from 2013:
Linux raspberrypi 3.18.11+ #781 PREEMPT Tue Apr 21 18:02:18 BST 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux
OpenSSH_6.0p1 Debian-4+deb7u2, OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013

SSh from Windows 10 using PuTTY, with Xming.

 From a Ubuntu-16.4  VM to the pi using
ssh -l user -X ip-address-of-pi
the display gets set as  DISPLAY=localhost:11.0

/usr/bin/X11/xev on the pi is a good test program.
or x-terminal-emulator

For performance you may want to google for:
"X windows" performance ssh

  Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert at gmail.com>