Possible formatting bug in ssh-agent.1 man page

Ingo Schwarze schwarze at usta.de
Wed Sep 28 02:52:52 AEST 2016

Hi Glenn,

Glenn Golden wrote on Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 02:55:08PM -0600:

> Version info: OpenSSH_7.3p1, OpenSSL 1.0.2i  22 Sep 2016, Arch linux
>
> The ssh-agent.1 man page seems to have an indentation oddity, at least, as
> formatted with recent Arch linux manpage toolset. Here's what appears in
> the formatted output just after the description of the the "-t" option:
>
>      ---------- Begin formatted output -------------------------------------
>        -t life
>               Set a default value for the maximum lifetime of identities added
>               to  the agent.  The lifetime may be specified in seconds or in a
>               time format specified in sshd_config(5).  A  lifetime  specified
>               for  an  identity with ssh-add(1) overrides this value.  Without
>               this option the default maximum lifetime is forever.
>
>               If a command line is given, this is executed as a subprocess  of
>               the agent.  When the command dies, so does the agent.
>
>               The  idea  is that the agent is run in the user's local PC, lap
>                       .
>                       .
>                       .
>      ------------ End formatted output -------------------------------------
>
> Seems to me like all the paragraphs after the one immediately
> below "-t life" (starting with "If a command line..." and thereafter)
> are meant to be outdented to the main indentation level so that they
> do not appear be associated with the description of the -t option.

To debug this, we have to decide whether the problem is in the manual
page sources used (for example due to bogus patches), in the build
system, in the man(1) command on Arch, or in the formatter (likely
groff) on Arch.

As a first step, can you provide the file that gets installed on
Arch?  You can probably find the name and path of that file with

 $ man -w ssh-agent

More is likely required after that, but what is needed depends on
the contents of that file.

You should also say up front which man(1) implementation you are
using, which roff formatter you are using, whether you have
enabled any caching of preformatted manuals, whether you have
any man.conf or manpath.config files in use, and what they contain.

This is likely to be some simple user oder packager error; yet again,
it could also be a yet unknown mdoc(7) or man(7) compat issue, which
is why i'm interested.

Yours,
  Ingo