ssh-agent check for new fresh certificate (and key)? worthwhile doing?

Adam Eijdenberg adam at continusec.com
Thu Feb 2 09:08:16 AEDT 2017

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 1:16 AM, Peter Moody <mindrot at hda3.com> wrote:
> why not add the certificate to the running ssh-agent with a timeout
> that expires when the cert does?

That's an excellent idea. I've modified our tooling to do exactly that
(https://github.com/continusec/geecert/commit/dfeee14b278e28d15bf532bb6e6e8ffe530e6b11).

Thank you for the suggestion.

> I don't think ssh-agent exposes a "how long until this key expires"
> api, but you can at least use this method to see if the cert/key are
> *on* the agent and you can assume that if they're on the agent, then
> they're valid.

I guess a case could be made for ssh-add to always set a timeout when
adding a certificate with an expiry time, but I think for now I'm
happy enough to do that on our end.