[Doc] Extension of Included configuration files

Alexis Horgix Chotard alexis.horgix.chotard at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 08:55:55 AEDT 2017

Hello,

I'm really happy that the 7.3 release of OpenSSH introduced the
Include directive.

However, since there is absolutely no restriction or advice neither on
the name nor on the location of the included files, it makes it harder
for external tools to recognize them; I'm mainly thinking about text
editors that would like to enable syntax coloration for it (
https://github.com/vim/vim/pull/1452 ).
Until now it wasn't a problem since the file was either `ssh_config`
or `~/.ssh/config` in most cases - maybe all ? no idea if this is
configurable.

I would like to include a SHOULD part to the man section of the
Include directive in an effort to make those included files
recognizable.
I'm sure you'll have a better suggestion for the wording than me;
however you'll find a patch attached for the sentence "Configuration
file(s) referenced by this Include directive should use the .sshconfig
extension to be detected as such by external tools." but it could also
be something simpler like "If you want external tools to detect your
configuration files, they should use the .sshconfig extension".

Let me know what you think about it,

Regards,

--
Alexis 'Horgix' Chotard