syslog from chrooted environment

Ingo Schwarze schwarze at usta.de
Tue Jul 25 07:58:53 AEST 2017

Hi Mike,

Mike Tancsa wrote on Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 11:55:54AM -0400:

> I have a somewhat busy sftp server where the users are all
> chrooted into their home directory. In order to log all the
> commands they enter, I have to create a /dev/log entry and
> hard link in their home directory so that syslog works

Use OpenBSD.  The standard syslog(3) function is implemented
in terms of the sendsyslog(2) system call, such that logging
just always works in any environment and you never need logging
sockets.  That solution was specifically designed to solve your
problem.

  http://man.openbsd.org/sendsyslog.2

Yours,
  Ingo