OpenSSL 1.1 support status : what next?

Douglas E Engert deengert at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 05:16:40 AEST 2017

OpenSC has taken a different approach to OpenSSL-1.1. Rather then writing
a shim for OpenSSL-1.1, the OpenSC code has been converted to
the OpenSSL-1.1 API and a sc-ossl-compat.h" file consisting of defines and
macros was written to support older versions of OpenSSL and Libressl.

https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/blob/master/src/libopensc/sc-ossl-compat.h

The nice part of this approach is when using OpenSSL-1.1 sc-ossl-compat.h
does not do anything. It sole purpose to provide calls to the older APIs
that are not going to change and eventually the sc-ossl-compat.h could be
removed.

Only the OpenSSL routines used by OpenSC have added to sc-ossl-compat.h
but others defines and macro could be added.There are a few utilities that
use still use a few #ifdef's during initialization.

  Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert at gmail.com>