Announce: OpenSSH 7.5 released

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Mon Mar 27 22:00:36 AEDT 2017

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 9:20 PM, Martin Hecht <hecht at hlrs.de> wrote:

> [...]
> This causes configure to fail on SLES 11 sp3 LTSS. SUSE backports
> security fixes for openssl 0.9.8 until 2019.
> I have found the corresponding git commit which changes configure.ac,
> and would like to undo it.

You're welcome to do so however if it breaks you get to keep both pieces.

> Apart from the concern that upstream at
> openssl stopped supporting 0.9.8, are there any other reasons behind
> this change (new dependencies on 1.0.1 which are not checked elsewhere)?

Given that support was removed late in the development cycle and it was
tested with older versions up until then I would guess 7.5p1 might still
work.

Beyond that, there's a bunch of compatibility shims in
openbsd-compat/openssl-compat.{c,h} and a couple of
ifdef OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER sprinkled in the code which I would expect to
be removed in future.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
GPG key 11EAA6FA / A86E 3E07 5B19 5880 E860  37F4 9357 ECEF 11EA A6FA (new)