[RFC 1/2] Add support for openssl engine based keys

Sat Nov 4 06:26:02 AEDT 2017

On Fri, 2017-11-03 at 19:10 +0000, Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL
wrote:
> I hear you (finally).
>
> Do you know why TCG moved towards what I consider a regress, i.e.,
> reducing the number of on-board keys?

Well, I'm not associated with the TCG, so I can't tell you officially,
but I believe the reason was that they wanted to mandate a standard
size in 2.0, because there were huge inconsistencies in 1.2 over the
number of keys that could be stored, and couldn't agree on it (because
the ram increases the cost of the chip so the OEMs didn't like it).
 Finally they decided that if they couldn't agree a standard size,
they'd specify the minimum required for operation, which is 3 keys, and
make a virtue out of necessity.

James