Status of OpenSSL 1.1 support - Thoughts

jpbion at jfwest.com jpbion at jfwest.com
Thu Oct 19 02:11:05 AEDT 2017

(Re-sent as I used the wrong account before - edited slightly)

I’m sorry you see my post as potentially trollish - it was not meant
that way. So let me try to restate things.

I have nothing against libreSSL, and I do think the OpenSSL api change
was poorly executed. I am just speaking, as a solo semi retired
hobbyist, who spends most of his server coding time on private weather
station software, (I don’t do this stuff for work - this is all on my
own time) I feel really left in a bind. OpenSSH is a fantastic tool, but
I worry I will end up not being able to use it. I am not on all the
mailing lists - this is why I repeatedly said “as far as I can see”
acknowledging my limited knowledge of the details. The end users of
these tools have been dealing with the nightmare of the OpenSSL changes
for about a year now. Nor do I see this as anyone’s “fault” - except as
I said OpenSSL created a pile of work for everyone.

The real point of my note is: I don’t see OpenSSL and LibreSSL merging
any time soon. Even if libreSSL puts in opaque structures, what if the
two teams view ways to handle the issues of 2018, and beyond
differently? Is API comparability, a goal at the start, going to remain
a primary goal of both teams, especially if one of the two teams make
choices seen as ill-founded by the other? I don’t know - so I ask - and
without knowing, I worry that more API divergence will occur. Again, the
OpenSSL changes were a huge gulp - and others may question the wisdom of
staying in lock-step to those changes. As a result, i worry if it will
be possible to maintain software, over time, that supports both variants
of SSL stack. As such, I worry if a day comes that I can’t use openssh,
because too many other things I depend upon CAN'T use libreSSL.

Please tell me where this core concern of mine is misplaced - because I
would surely like my concern to be ill-founded and mistaken.