sftp/scp only without real users

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 14:46:17 AEST 2017

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 5:11 AM, Thomas Güttler Lists
<guettliml at thomas-guettler.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> my goal: sftp/scp only access, without the need for linux users.
>
> I want to provide 10 sftp/scp directories to 10 people. Let's call this
> "virtual account"
>
> I don't want to create linux users for each of them.
>
> I would like to create one linux user (backup_user). In his home-directory
> will be 10 directories. For each "virtual account" one directory.

Sounds like you want an old tool called "rssh", with chroot cages.
Some of my tools to help set it up are at:

* https://github.com/nkadel/rssh-chroot-tools

However, if I may suggest? It sounds like you may be better with an
"ftps" system, not an "sftp" system. Please look up "vsftpd" and how
it can be configured this way, with a variety of authentication
protocols to go with it.